What is Liquid Collagen?
Liquid collagen is a collagen supplement that contains collagen proteins suspended in a liquid, such as purified water. Liquid Collagen’s advantage over powder collagen is that it has a higher absorption rate vs powders. Liquid Collagen supplements are said to improve skin elasticity, hydrate the skin, improve joint health and to improve overall health of nails, teeth, hair, skin and gums (1).
The main difference between powdered collagen and liquid collagen is that liquid collagen is easier for the body to absorb as it has already been partially broken down. Powder collagen is more difficult for the body to break down so bioavailability and absorption is lower.
Some people take collagen as a dietary supplement. Drinking liquid collagen is one way of doing this. These products contain collagen proteins that are hydrolyzed, or broken down into smaller blocks. These smaller blocks, or peptides, are easier for the body to absorb.
Types of Liquid Collagen
- * Hydrolyzed : The majority of liquid collagen on the market are hydrolyzed, which means the collagen has been broken down into basic amino acids (glycine, proline, and hydroxyproline) that serve as protein building blocks and are easier to absorb. This provides the building blocks the body needs to produce its own collagen.
- * Non-Hydrolyzed : Non-Hydrolyzed Collagen is the “purest form” of collagen as it retains significantly more of its native triple helical protein structure, allowing for greater molecular and scaffolding stability. Non-Hydrolyzed collagen particles or powders may improve scaffolding resulting in healthier skin, teeth and nails (4).
- * Gelatin : Gelatin type of liquid collagen is derived from large proteins and broken down into smaller blocks the body can more easily absorb, although to a lesser extent than hydrolyzed collagen.
- * Undenatured : The undenatured form of liquid collagen consists of very small fragments of Type II collagen and prevents the breakdown of natural collagen stores in the body. However Undenatured liquid collagen can not be broken down into amino acids.
- * Nutraceutical Animal : Nutraceutical supplements derived from collagen can be made from beef, pork, or fish bones and skins, which undergo processing to increase the bioavailability of their amino acids and/or peptides
Benefits of Liquid Collagen
Collagen has several health advantages that go far beyond aesthetic enhancement. Collagen functions as follows:
Improves and strengthens your hair, skin, teeth, and nails – Wrinkles, looser skin, stretch marks, and cellulite can all be caused by a lack of collagen. As you consume more of it, your skin will appear firmer and smoother.
Reduces or avoids joint pain while also acting as an anti-inflammatory – Collagen works similarly to motor oil in that it allows ligaments, tendons, and joints to move smoothly. A lack of collagen can result in swollen, stiff, and painful joints. According to the University of Illinois College of Medicine in Chicago, collagen has been demonstrated to help reduce osteoarthritis pain.
Increases metabolism and muscle mass – The amino acid glycine present in collagen aids in the conversion of glucose into energy and the growth of lean muscle. Because muscle burns more calories than fat, having more lean muscle implies having a quicker metabolism. Taking vitamin C with collagen helps in this process.
Helps support your liver and detox systems – Glycine supports your liver and detox systems by protecting it from pollutants and repairing any liver damage.
Aids in the healing of a leaky gut – If you have a leaky gut, toxins can travel through your digestive tract and into the rest of your body, wreaking havoc on your entire system. Collagen can aid in the sealing of your intestines and the healing of leaky gut. Collagen may aid digestion if you have any type of inflammatory bowel illness.
Protects your heart and cardiovascular health – Proline, another component of collagen, may aid in the healing of arteries and the removal of fat deposits from them. It has also been demonstrated to lower blood pressure.
Liquid Collagen Research
A 2019 study published in Nutrients suggests that taking a collagen supplement may be beneficial for the skin. In the study of 72 healthy women aged 35 or older, half drank Elasten, a liquid collagen supplement containing 2.5 grams of collagen peptides in addition to vitamin C, zinc, biotin, and a vitamin E complex, while the other half drank a placebo. At the conclusion of the 12-week study, skin evaluations indicated that the beverage improved skin hydration, elasticity, reduced fine lines and wrinkles as well as diminished roughness and dryness, compared to the placebo group.
In a 2018 study published in Nutrition Research, participants who drank a liquid collagen supplement for 90 days reported improved skin texture and elasticity. (The manufacturer also conducted this study.) The dietary supplement also contained vitamins, antioxidants, minerals, chondroitin sulphate, and glucosamine.
A 2012 study showed that liquid biocell collagen reduced dryness and scaling by 76% over 12 weeks as well as reducing fine lines and wrinkles by 13.2% . After 6 weeks of supplementation there was also a signficant increase in the amount of hemoglobin (17.7%) and collagen (6.3%), indicating that liquid collagen helps the body to restore and rebuild collagen stores by 3.5 % .
Work Cited :
Lopez, A L. “Hydrolyzed Collagen—Sources and Applications”. https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/24/22/4031
Schauss, A. “The Effects of Skin Aging Associated with the Use of BioCell Collagen: A Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Clinical Trial (P06-122-19)”. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6574245/
Schwartz, S R. “Ingestion of BioCell Collagen®, a novel hydrolyzed chicken sternal cartilage extract; enhanced blood microcirculation and reduced facial aging signs”. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3426261/
Bolke, L. “A Collagen Supplement Improves Skin Hydration, Elasticity, Roughness, and Density: Results of a Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Blind Study”. https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/11/10/2494/htm
Czajka, A. “Daily oral supplementation with collagen peptides combined with vitamins and other bioactive compounds improves skin elasticity and has a beneficial effect on joint and general wellbeing”. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0271531717311508